With Coronavirus taking a toll on the global economic activities, Finance Minsters’ and tax administrators have faced a tough task to undertake a balancing act between rolling out incentives / tax deferrals and maintaining fiscal discipline. The Hon’ble Indian Finance Minister presented the Indian Union Budget, 2021, recently and foreign investors and domestic players alike would be keen to understand the measures to provide impetus to one of the fastest recovering economy during the pandemic. Outside of the Union Budget, there have been several developments in the last 12 months which impact / are beneficial for the foreign investors.
To provide an overview of the macro-economic landscape and help shed some light on the Budget proposals, NICCT and EY are pleased to invite you to a virtual event where we discuss these developments on the Indian Budget 2021. The program will take place on Thursday 25 March 2021, from 10.00-11.30 hrs (CET) and will be led by Amit Jain (EY Leader Global Desk EMEIA & India Desk), Ronak Sethi (Senior Manager, EY India Desk London) and Erwin Sieders (EY Netherlands Tax Partner).
We are particularly pleased that these tax experts have agreed to share their expertise with you and to answer your questions.
This NICCT Online program informs you about the Indian Budget 2021 and particularly on the parts relevant to you and your business in your activities with and in India, highlighting new opportunities emanating out of the recent tax and regulatory reforms.
Do not miss this insightful session with the opportunity to ask these experts the questions that are relevant to you.
We look forward to welcoming you on Thursday 25th of March 2021.
Please click on this link for the program and speaker overview.
This program will take place on Thursday 25 March 2021, from 10.00-11.30 hrs CET. (onboarding from 09.45-10.00 hrs CET)
- Welcome & Opening by Edith Nordmann (Chairman NICCT)
- Address by Mrinalini Kaur Sapra (First Secretary – Economic & Commerce – Embassy of India)
- Welcome by Erwin Sieders (EY Partner International Tax)
- Indian Union Budget 2021 by Amit B. Jain and Ronak Sethi
- Closing Remarks
This program will take place on Thursday 25 March 2021, from 10.00-11.30hrs CET (excl. onboarding)
Speakers in this program are:
Amit B. Jain – EY EMEIA Tax Desk Network Leader – main speaker
Amit is the EMEIA Tax Desk Network and India desk leader for UK&I and Europe. Prior to this Amit was a Partner with Ernst &Young, India, International tax practise. Amit has worked with clients in life science, chemicals, FMCG, Auto and IT enabled sector. He has also been involved in handling large Private Equity accounts.
Amit joined Ernst & Young in 2004 and has worked with EY Mumbai and Pune practice. He is a fellow chartered accountant of the Indian Institute of Chartered Accountants, India and Law (LLB) and Commerce graduate.
Amit’ experiences are:
- Cross border acquisition support including tax due diligence, structuring and implementation;
- Cross border investment structuring and setting up of operations in India including obtaining regulatory approvals and rulings;
- Amit has worked on several cross border transactions wherein he has led the tax due diligence, structuring of the acquisition and implementation of the transaction;
- Some of the acquisition transactions Amit has recently worked on, include acquisition of large Oil & Gas asset in Africa, setting up one of the largest clean energy platform in India and acquisition of a tire company with operation in multiple countries;
- Amit is a frequent speaker at various international tax events and has also authored various articles on international tax aspects.
Edith Nordmann – Chairman – NICCT
Edith Nordmann is next to being the Chairman of NICCT also Managing Partner at ACG International in Amsterdam.
Edith has an expert qualification in employment law, and is experienced corporate and commercial litigator, who has been representing both companies and private individuals in highly complex matters. Her practice also covers cross-border transactions, contract disputes, and national and international litigation. In addition, she is a certified mediator, who assists her clients in finding amicable resolution of their disputes.
Being fluent in German (native speaker), English, Dutch, French and Italian, Edith is not only able to communicate with many of her international clients in their mother tongue, but also to understand the difference in mentality, culture and legal systems. This puts her in a unique position to resolve cross-border issues.
Edith successfully combines her professional career with numerous charitable and social organizations, where she uses her expertise, not only to help others but also to empower them in their endeavors. Among many other commitments, she is also Vice Chairman Supervisory Board of Housing Corporation Rochdale.
Ronak Sethi – Senior Manager, India Desk London – main speaker
Ronak is Senior Manager with the India tax desk for UK&I and Europe based out of the London office.
Ronak specializes in corporate and international taxation and has worked with clients across sectors such as automotive, insurance, technology and FMCG.
Ronak is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and is a Commerce graduate with specialization in cost accounting.
Ronak’ experiences are:
- Ronak advises multinational clients on efficient India entry strategy including regulatory approvals, advising on capitalization and setup related aspects;
- Cross-border transactions and including due diligence, business carve outs / separate and sell and structuring advisory;
- Working on dispute resolution strategies and representational experience across various appellate forums across India;
- Working with clients to design tax and non-tax incentives strategy for investments in India;
- Ronak has also extensively worked with the Indian insurance industry and has been part of several representations and formulation of industry wide tax positions;
- He is a regular speaker at several events and sessions organized for industry and trade associations.
Erwin Sieders – Board Member NICCT – moderator
Erwin Sieders is next to being a Board Member of NICCT also Tax Partner at EY Netherlands.
Erwin has more than 20 years’ experience in advising on international tax restructuring, inbound and outbound Netherlands (in particular for US, UK and Indian based multinationals), legal entity rationalizing, carve outs, group financing and holding company structures, IPOs, private equity and real estate funds, including extensive dealings with the Dutch Tax Authorities.
Erwin has a Master in Dutch civil & corporate law, University of Utrecht, as well as a Master in Dutch tax law, University of Amsterdam, and is a member of the Dutch Association of Tax Advisors.
Having spent almost nine years on secondments to the EY Dutch Desks in London and in Chicago, and with more than 20 years of extensive experience in the gobal business arena, Erwin understands cross-cultural differences and is able to effectively assist clients in their international tax affairs and transactions.
Erwin loves to travel, is married, has two teenagers and currently lives in Amstelveen, The Netherlands.